CalHIPSO Enrolls Over 7,700 Providers
Country’s Largest Regional Extension Center Releases Biennial Report
OAKLAND, CA – May 7, 2012 – In a little more than two years, the California Information Partnership and Services Organization (CalHIPSO), has successfully developed the infrastructure needed to help thousands of providers throughout California implement Electronic Health Records (EHRs), considered vital for improving the quality and efficient delivery of healthcare. This and other key milestones are highlighted in CalHIPSO’s biennial report, “The First Two Years: 2010-2011.”
“Our first two years have been extremely challenging and successful,” says CalHIPSO CEO Speranza Avram. “We’re well on our way to helping thousands of providers in California transition their practices from paper-based medical records to electronic systems and in the process, improving both the efficiency and quality of primary care.”
Major milestones include:
- EHR implementation is well underway, with over 7,700 providers in various stages of progress. Of these, about 2,800 have some EHR use capability, and 210 providers have fully implemented an EHR, having demonstrated Stage 1 Meaningful Use.
- Over 65 million dollars in federal stimulus funding has been earned by CalHIPSO members through the Medi-Cal and Medicare EHR incentive programs.
- A second round of EHR vendor selection has been initiated, building on an initial group of seven vendor partners. Expansion reflects the immense growth in EHR adoption over the last two years, and provides more options for providers.
- The organization has launched a Technical Services Unit for clients that will provide professional, executive level advice and support related to practice preparedness for EHR adoption and HIT readiness.
- The deployment of a data analytics platform has begun. The initial pilot will test functionality, scalability, and value, while also identifying limitations and challenges. Widespread deployment of the project is expected by 2013.
Biennial report available online
CalHIPSO’s biennial report, “The First Two Years: 2010-2011”
For more information, contact CalHIPSO:
Marketing and Communications Manager
510.302.3325 | 888.589.4897 | Dawniela@calhipso.org