Eligibility and Requirements
Find out if you are eligible for the EHR Incentive Programs in a few clicks:
Other Eligibility Tools
- View the CalHIPSO Eligibility Crosswalk
- View Medi-Cal Patient Volume eligibility to determine if your practice qualifies for the Medi-Cal EHR Incentive Program.
- Visit the eligibility page of the CMS website
There are three main components of Meaningful Use:
- The use of a certified EHR in a meaningful manner (e.g.: e-Prescribing: the ability to send an electronic prescription).
- The use of certified EHR technology for electronic exchange of health information to improve quality of health care.
- The use of certified EHR technology to submit clinical quality and other measures.
Meaningful Use includes both a core set and a menu set of objectives that are specific for eligible professionals and hospitals. For Eligible Professionals, there are a total of 25 Meaningful Use objectives. 20 of the objectives must be completed to qualify for an incentive payment. 15 are core objectives that are required, and the remaining 5 objectives may be chosen from the list of 10 menu set objectives. For Hospitals, there are a total of 24 Meaningful Use objectives. 14 are core objectives that are required, and the remaining 5 objectives may be chosen from the list of 10 menu set objectives.
To realize improved health care quality, efficiency and patient safety, the criteria for Meaningful Use will be staged in three steps over the course of the next five years. Stage 1 sets the baseline for electronic data capture and information sharing. Stage 2 (2014) and Stage 3 (est. 2015) will continue to expand on this baseline and be developed through future rule making.
For more details on the Stage 1 Meaningful Use objectives: